Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Special - Interview with Mom

For your Mother's Day viewing {reading} pleasure, I am pleased to present this interview with my mom.

 April 2011

AJ: Ok, let's get started. First question - When did you decide you wanted to be a mother?
Mom: When I was a little girl.

AJ: I know that you always secretly wanted to have six children, but only ended up with five. Why did you want six?
Mom: Because it just seemed like the ideal number. It just didn't turn out quite that way, though. But I at least wanted a bigger family than I came from {4 children}.

AJ: Who did you look up to as you were raising your children?
Mom: My own mother. I wanted to be as good of a mother to my children as she was to hers.

AJ: What was the hardest part about being a mother with young children?
Mom: Trying to not get bogged down with everyday chores so that I wouldn't miss doing special things with my kids. And also making sure that I spent enough one-on-one time with each of my children and spreading that time out equally.

AJ: Ok. What is the hardest part about being a mother now?
Mom: Definitely not being able to see my children every single day.


Mom and me (2 months old)

AJ: This isn't a very fair question, but if you could, would you go back to being a young mother with young children or stay where you are now with all of your grandchildren?
Mom: If I could go back, I would try to do things a little differently this time around. It's easier to see that now. But maybe if I went back, things wouldn't be the way they are now, and they are wonderful! I love being a grandma!


AJ: So what is it that you would have done differently?
Mom: First off, we wouldn't have had TV. Cable, that is. That could've kept the world out a little more. There was a lot of wasted time watching TV while you kids were growing up. Also, we would have started having regular scripture study when my oldest were very young. Those two things stand out in my mind.


AJ: How did you get through the hardest days?
Mom: Lots of prayers and sometimes getting out of the house for a while. Like taking a walk or a trip to the grocery store.


AJ: How has your testimony of Jesus Christ been strengthened by being a mother?
Mom: Through having babies and coming to the realization of the wonder of life and that this world was created for us by Him.


AJ: How did Dad support you in your role as a mother?
Mom: He was never afraid to change a diaper or tend to a crying baby. He did absolutely anything I needed him to do, without being asked. He completely shared the responsibility and was very understanding when I would get overwhelmed and need a break for a while.


Mom and baby AJ

AJ: Ok. What are your fondest memories of having a young family?
Mom: I remember lying in bed lazily on Saturday mornings with every one of my children {and Dad}, laughing and giggling. Those were special times when my children were all young enough that we could all fit on the same bed. And when we were all living under the same roof.


AJ: Do you have a favorite Mother's Day that you can remember?
Mom: I specifically remember my first official Mother's Day after I had my first baby. I felt really special, and I remember that Dad brought me flowers. But it was always special when you kids would bring something home for me that you made at church or school.


AJ: What was your favorite family vacation when we were all living at home?
Mom: Driving to Arizona to visit family and friends. You were only 18 months old! That was a big trip for us.


AJ: How did you attain greater patience while raising your children?
Mom: This has actually come more with being a grandparent. It is much easier to see now how demanding parents can be {we were at times} and that children are just not capable of things sometimes. It takes a while to learn that.


AJ: What did your children teach you?
Mom: How to show love and have more patience. They taught me that children will be children, but in a good way. And how to appreciate the little things they do, like picking a handful of dandelions for you on their way home from school. And that they love you unconditionally and that you have to return that.


AJ: What is the most rewarding part of being a mother?
Mom: Seeing my children be parents to their own children.


Moments after Jane was born

AJ: What have you learned about yourself in being a mother?
Mom: I thought I was a good person, but I quickly learned that I wasn't nearly as good of a person as I needed to be. Children teach you what your strengths and weaknesses are and who you need to be.

AJ: What is the best advice you have for young mothers like me?
Mom: Enjoy every day you have with your children. Don't ever think you can spoil them with attention. Childhood is such a short time.

AJ: Well, that's it. Thanks for taking the time to do this interview, Mom.
Mom: You're welcome. Thanks for asking me!

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there!
{Especially you, Mom!}

1 comment:

Sara said...

That was sweet.